Shirley Intermediate School opened its doors in 1934 – part of the first national roll-out of intermediate schools (one Auckland School was a “middle school” for some years prior to this, but the term “intermediate school” was first used in an official capacity in 1934).
While the Shirley area back then still showed evidence of farming and market gardening activities, the suburbs were growing rapidly - hence the need for a new school. The first step in the building was to level a large dune-like hill inside the current North Parade playground.
1 media item
The school has enjoyed a 75th Jubilee in 2009, attended by hundreds of ex-pupils, and ex-staff. Copies of the 75th Jubilee booklet are available for sale at the school office.
In September 2012, following the earthquakes which hit Christchurch in 2010 and 2011, the Minister of Education proposed that Shirley Intermediate School close. "The school community put considerable effort and funding into a submission to remain open ... and was successful" ERO 2014